The Praying Mantis™ was the first generally available diffuse reflection (DRIFTS) attachment and remains the forerunner in the field.
It is a highly efficient diffuse collection system that minimizes the detection of the specular component. Ellipsoids pivot to provide easy access to the sampling area and incorporates to 6:1, 90° off-axis ellipsoids which form a highly efficient diffuse reflection illumination and collection system. This unique configuration deflects the specular reflectance away from the collecting ellipsoid, minimizing the associated spectral distortions.
The Praying Mantis™ also can be configured to study materials and reactions in controlled environments with the appropriate diffuse reflectance reaction chamber.
Praying Mantis™ applications include easy and reliable diffuse reflection analysis of solids and powders by FT-IR and UV-VIS spectroscopy and analysis of catalysts and other powders in a temperature and/or pressure controlled environment.
- Highly efficient collection system.
- Minimizes the detection of the specular component.
- Ellipsoids pivot to provide easy access to the sampling area.
- Allows easy attachment of reaction chambers.
- Several models offered for compatibility with a wide range of FTIR and UV-VIS spectrometers.
- Harrick’s exclusive PermaPerge™ allows rapid exchange with minimal interruption of the system purge.
- Optional references for FTIR and UV-VIS studies.
- Praying Mantis:
- Cart with two mounted alignment mirrors.
- 10mm diameter diffuse reflectance sampling cup (0.25ml volume).
- 3mm diameter adjustable microsampling cup (0.03ml volume) with funnel.
- Mating hardware for the specified FTIR or UV-VIS spectrometer.
- Praying Mantis Kit:
- Praying Mantis.
- High Temperature, Low Pressure Reaction Chamber with SiO2 or ZnSe windows.
- Temperature Controller with USB to RS-485 adapter for computer control.
- Sampling Tools: spatula, KBr powder, finger cots, mortar and pestle.